About New Day Academy: A Celebration of the Diversity of Learning
We operate on the understanding that:
- Our independent study model is successful when students are supported by their families, and dedicated educational staff.
- Strong core competency skills are critical to successful lifelong learning.
- All students have different learning styles, abilities, and background experiences. As important as “what” a student learns is “how” a student learns.
- Developing an educational plan tailored to meet each student’s learning style, abilities, strengths, and areas of need, which allows them to flourish.
- Students, with strong support, will become self-motivated, organized lifelong learners who are able to use different sources of information and effectively complete responsibilities.
- Powerful teacher-student relationships are a motivating factor toward success.
- Opportunities for distance learning and online education are encouraged and supported to help students be successful in 21st Century Learning.
- Beyond core courses, providing a variety of elective course options allows students to find their individual path, interests, and life goals.
- Supported by trained and credentialed educators readied with effective standards-based curriculum, parents provide an excellent education to their children.
New Day Academy believes that learning best occurs when:
- Teachers partner with parents and students to support, monitor, and encourage academic growth.
- Assessment tools are used to accurately assess student skill levels ensuring that curriculum and methodologies are appropriate for each student.
- Students are challenged to grow personally and academically and meet their potential.
- Experiential learning is included in a student’s education plan and enrichment opportunities are offered.
- Tutoring and small group instruction is available to provide support to independent learning.
- Student, parent, teacher communication is supportive and frequent.
New Day Academy is a direct-funded Independent Study Charter School, sponsored by the Ravendale-Termo School District. Because of our non-classroom based program we are able to serve students in Lassen County, as well as the contiguous counties of Shasta, Modoc, Plumas, and Sierra. Our enrollment, as of the Spring 2013 semester was 300 students. We serve students in grades K-12 and are WASC accredited.
NDA provides a Personalized Learning program that follows California Independent Study law and regulations, including state independent study attendance accounting. NDA is committed to assisting parents who choose the independent study/homeschool model for their children. To facilitate success, each NDA student is assigned a credentialed teacher that works with the parent/guardian and student to create a personalized learning program based on student strengths, needs, and interests.
Our school provides standards based curriculum that emphasizes the development of strong core learning competencies necessary to lead a fulfilled and successful life. Particular attention is devoted to English/Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies. Additional resources and instruction are offered in the areas of Visual and Performing Arts, Physical Education, Technology, as well as a variety of elective subjects using vendors, computer software programs, and community college concurrent enrollment. In addition to their Assigned Credentialed Teacher, students are supported by NDA staff to include the NDA Director, Tutors, Librarian/Curriculum Specialist, a Reading Specialist, and an Academic Counselor.